This time of year, especially the Fourth of July, makes me think about being younger and how critical summertime was to our existence. We could not wait to ride our bikes, swim until past sunset and just be plain lazy. There were no cell phones, no Xbox, no cable TV. There was Mystery Date, Sorry, and Trouble with the pop-up dice.
I moved back to my home town in 2006 and Chip and I are raising our kids here. It’s funny how everyday I pass the old Flavorland where I went on one of my first dates for ice-cream. I remember that so well. We rode our bikes and in a booth for lunch.
This sparked my train of thought regarding what I know now, that I didn’t know then.
- I know now that my Uncle Mike’s dog, Pokey, did not go and live on a farm.
- I know now that is must have killed my parents when I put my autograph book under my pillow for the Tooth Fairy to sign.
- I know now that my fish Anthony was not really buried in the backyard, nor were 7 of his brother fish.
- I know now that summer vacation is indeed a gift and I miss it very much.
- I know now that the cook and head waitress were not really counting the pies in the freezer, nor was the smell from the back of the kitchen plain old “grass”. It was grass alright.
- I know now what “parking’ is and why my parents always asked me if we stopped at Albany Airport on the way home form a date. duh.
- I know now why my friend Ellen lied about chewing gum in class because Sister Alice was about to bean her with a brick off her the pile on her desk, really.
- I know now why the band was named “Queen”.
- I know now why they had 72 chaperons for the all night dance marathon.
What I don’t know and maybe will not ever know:
- I don’t know why a hot dog tastes better when you are camping.
- I don’t know why no beer has ever tasted as good as the first legal beer I drank at Saratoga State Park with my cousin Joanie.
- I don’t know why some girlfriends can’t stay true to each other. We are stronger when we stay together.
- I don’t know why the Captain of the football team felt compelled to date the head cheerleader.
- I don’t know why we lose the ones we love so much at such a young age.
- I don’t know why my mother’s stuffed peppers are so much better than mine. She has that magic touch.
- I don’t know why I could never swaddle one of my babies as tight as the nurse at St. Peters.
- I don’t know why my grandmother’s risked life and limb to spray Holy Water on the house during a thunder storm. She ‘borrowed’ the Holy Water from the fountain in the back of the Church. Hmm….
- I don’t know how my dog knows when I am sick and how she sacrifices all to stay with me on the couch.
- I don’t know why my kids humor me when I get all suited up for Zumba and dance out the door.
- I don’t know why my husband loves me like he does.
These lists could go on forever and ever and we could all add a bullet or two. On a side note, I apologize for the problems I had on this blog with posting comments. I believe it has been corrected so please post away. I love the comments I get on Facebook and I think many of you would love to hear what each other has to say. Happy Fourth of July. Let’s relax and have that glass of Pinot and not think so hard. It’s too hot.