My exotic dance classes are over and I was feeling a bit blue about it tonight. Who knew? Four weeks ago, I entered that studio a bit anxious and really not feeling like the decision to do this was good. Now, on the last night and on the eve of my 50th birthday, I think, “What am I doing here?” I will tell you and I will also tell you what I learned this week.
1. I learned that it really doesn’t matter what you wear, Under Armour or Nike. It truly is how you feel. The clothes, in this case, do not make the woman.
2. I never heard the song, Nasty Boy until tonight and I am not sure I want to hear that again.
3. I learned that I loved my instructor. She was strong and confident and funny and wanted us to have fun and step out of the box a bit. I did that for her (and me).
4. I now know that coordination and dance moves will not be listed as a trait or skill of mine. In fact, it may be the opposite. My resume will not be updated with this skill set.
5. I am exotic, in my own way, wearing high heel flip flops instead of stilettos and Nike yoga pants instead of booty pants and tonight I even added a glitter headband. Yowza.
I was happy to spend the time with my friends; happy to get to try something new and very happy to be home, settled into some cotton PJ’s, watching Grey’s Anatomy and having my Key Lime (Thursday Night) Martini. I am ready for 50: Bring it.