Chip and I love, love, love pizza and are always looking to try new versions of the classic. This week we ventured out with a rendition of Emeril Lagasse’s Tequila Marinated Shrimp Pizza with Chorizo, Onions, Bell Peppers, And Cilantro Pesto. I always add and delete based on taste and this one for the first time through was good, but needed a little more zing. Try and it and tell us how and what you did to make it your own.
At least one hour before baking the pizza, put a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
Pizza dough-buy it or build it, your call.
Cilantro Pesto- What you need:
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts, walnuts or a combination
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup queso fresco, or Parmesan cheese
- ground black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 6 tablespoons olive oil- maybe a tad more
Cilantro Pesto- What to do: (I did this early in the day and refrigerated it for later)
- In a food processor or chopper, NOT a blender, combine the cilantro, pine nuts, and garlic, and puree on high speed. Add the cheese, pepper and salt, and process to combine.
- Scrape the sides of the processor, and with the machine running, add the olive oil. Blend until well combined.
Tequila Marinated Shrimp and cooked chorizo- What you need:
- 15 to 20 medium raw shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup lime juice- I used 2 limes
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces Mexican chorizo, chopped
Tequila Marinated Shrimp- What to do: Please note: Do not let the shrimp marinate for more than 1 hour. 35-45 minutes is best.
In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, tequila, lime juice, crushed garlic, cilantro, lime zest, pepper flakes, kosher salt, and cumin. You may need to stir a bit. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and pat dry.
Cooked chorizo- What to do: (simple)
In a frying pan, cook the sausage over medium-high heat cooking off the fat and until it is almost completely cooked through. Remove and drain on paper towels. Let cool.
OK Ready to build it? Remaining ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups grated Monterey jack cheese
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into long strips
- 1/2 medium white onion, cut into rings
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Chopped green onions, garnish
Roll out the dough to your desired thickness. Spread cilantro pesto across the dough Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top, then arrange the shrimp, bell peppers, onions, and cooked sausage over the top. Dot the pizza with the goat cheese.
Bake until the dough is golden brown and the cheeses are melted and bubbly depending on your oven. Let it cool for about 5 minutes before cutting.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onions, to taste.
Yummy! Serve with an ice cold beer, Riesling or whatever your poison.