This came to me as I am reading a list of today’s fresh fish and shellfish from our local fish monger, Hooked. I added things as my mind wandered. I will offer substitutions when possible but feel free to make this your own.
This recipe is made for 2-3 people or as an appetizer for more.
What you need:
- 6-8 large scallops. Get the good ones as this is the focal point otherwise I get what is the cheapest.
- 2 peaches. I used white peaches because I love them. Sliced off the pit.
- Large red onion sliced thick
- Sweet potato peeled and sliced
- Pasta, I used Treccia. It is kind of a rolled penne. You can use any cut pasta. Treccia translate to English as braid or cable knit if that helps describe it.
- Mascarpone cheese- about 2-3 tablespoons per serving so up it if you double this recipe.
- And my favorite spice: ariosto Aglio e Peperoncino. You can get it on Amazon as well. Perfection in a can!
What to do:
- Turn your grill on about midway heat so the items grill slowly and evenly.
- Place the sliced sweet potatoes in a Ziploc bag. Add olive oil and a hefty shake of the ariosto Aglio e Peperoncino. Mush it around to coat.
- Grill the sweet potatoes until soft and grill marks are visible. You’ll know when.
- Follow the same steps for the red onion but do not add more of the Aglio e Peperoncino. You will not need it.
- Now grill the peach slices and watch them carefully….
- Remove all from the grill and dice into medium chunks.
- Boil the pasta in rolling salted water. Keep ½ cup of the water aside to add later.
- Meanwhile prepare the cast iron skilled to sear the scallops. Nothing but some salt & pepper and sear! Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Place the scallops evenly spread flipping once, until nicely browned. Add a pat of unsalted butter if you wish at this point. Cook 1 1/2 to 21/2 minutes on each side depending on the thickness. Hold aside.
- At the same time, cook the pasta to al dente, nothing more. Drain pasta and return to the pot.
- Add the tablespoons of mascarpone and the reserved pasta water.
- Melt the mascarpone through, stirring gently.
- Toss in the diced grilled items and gently turn to coat.
- Scoop the pasta mixture onto a plate.
- Top with the seared scallops and garnish with thyme.
Hope you liked it! Wonderful.