Now that the holidays are over, we all looking to partake in some comfort food. As an Italian, I grew up on comfort food, and it did not include unhealthy or processed meals. This simple recipe can be done in a single pot! How great is that?
It begins with great ingredients!
The best part about pasta dishes is the flexibility of ingredients. Unlike my French cooking counter-parts, Italian cooking affords the novice chef flexibility and the experienced chef with an open door. Experiment. Make it again, and completely redo it! Enjoy this recipe and serve it with a light and fun white wine. Add salmon and serve with a Pinot Noir…betcha that got you thinking!
Pasta with Shrimp in a Lemon Ricotta Sauce
- Medium pasta pot
- Lemon zester
- Lemon Juicer(squeezer)
- 1 pound pasta (Rigatoni or Penne)
- 16 ounces Part-skim ricotta
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 lemons- zest one, squeeze one I added the other half of e lemon squeezed
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 bag cleaned baby spinach
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 shake ground nutmeg
- 1 bunch torn basil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add the Pasta and always cook to al dente.
- Just before the pasta is done, add the shrimp and spinach. Cook until the shrimp turns pink.
- Reserve a cup of the pasta water and set it aside.
- Drain the pasta, shrimp and spinach.
- Put the pasta combo back in the pot. Add the ricotta, parmesan lemon juice, zest, salt & pepper. Stir until mixed.
- Add reserved liquid and continue to stir. Add it slowly....
- Scoop into deep pasta bowls. Top with shredded parmesan and torn basil.