Happy St. Patrick’s Day to all my Irish friends! I have spoken often of my Manhattan roommate, Patricia Cunningham, God rest her soul. We lost her too early in life but her “Irish memories” will stay with me forever. I think about the differences in our take on life and how your genetics and ethnic background can form you in ways you don’t realized until faced with it.
On that note, here are some reasons why I know I have absolutely no Irish blood in my veins:
- Someone asked me yesterday if I was going to wear green today and I asked why?
- Meat should never, ever be boiled with the possible exception of chicken in tomato sauce and that’s Chicken Cacciatore.
- Bread is made for the sole purpose of pure happiness whether dunked in sauce or grilled with mozzarella and prosciutto. Not sure I want to know what is in Irish Soda Bread. The name alone scares me.
- The Tarantella vs. Irish step dancing/Riverdance…hmmm, I may have to concede that point although nothing beats an old Italian woman dancing the Tarantella in a housecoat at an Italian street festival. Not sure I can picture the same with an Irish grandmother. Please enlighten me if you can.
- and lastly on this St. Patrick’s day-alcohol. Ok I must admit I love, love, love a good glass of Guinness. Perhaps now and then a little Jameson. But you can’t really drink that with most meals like you could a beautiful, smooth and warm red wine. (with Limoncello for dessert!)
So happy St. Patrick’s Day enjoy whatever traditions you enjoy and remember to eat some pasta tomorrow because in my house, no meat on Fridays during Lent!