Once again, clams on a pizza! This is a recipe from the Food Network, Tyler Florence, adapted for Pastaonthefloor! Feel free to amend and Happy Eating.
- 2 dozen large hard-shell clams, such as cherrystone or chowder clams
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Shredded mozzarella cheese, preferably Cappiello’s. Just a little, not a lot.
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese, preferably Cappiello’s
- Prosciutto- substitute for bacon since I like it better
- 1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino ( I like Locatelli)
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped ( I added 2 more cloves)
- 2 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 fresh oregano sprigs, leaves only
OK, now create:
Stick a pizza stone in the oven and preheat them to 450-500 degrees.
CLAMS: Wash and scrub clams well to remove the exterior sand. Fill a steamer or pot with 1-inch of water, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and toss in the bay leaves. Heat until the water is simmering and then add the clams. Cover and steam for 5 to 10 minutes until the clams open – discard any that do not. Remove the clams from the shells, coarsely chop them up, and put in a bowl. Add the lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
Good Stuff: Heat a pan with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and place over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes, and oregano. Cook and stir until the vegetables about 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
Assemble: Spread the ricotta evenly on the crust with a back of a spoon. You have permission to use your hands to do this.Sprinkle mozzarella to taste. Scatter the chopped clams all around and top with the sauteed red pepper mixture. Distribute the pieces of bacon on top. Slide the pizza onto the hot stone in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the crust is golden and crisp, and the cheese is bubbly.
Add the parsley and Locatelli at the end!