My husband loves jalapeno poppers. I am not a huge fan of them nor am I a fan of deep frying- anything. I know you can grill them as well but here is a cheater option for an open-faced popper. Be creative! I added a little ground beef to the base before adding the cheese mixture to make it more of a meal than an appetizer.
You can also make these a Buffalo Chicken Cups by adding rotisserie chicken tossed in some spicy sauce (Frank’s). Mix the cream cheese and sour cream and add blue cheese instead of cheddar. Top after cooking with shredded carrots and celery. Yummy.
What you need:
- Package of wonton wrappers
- 8-10 slices of bacon cooked, on the well-done side and broken into pieces
- 3-4 jalapeños seeded and chopped
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- shredded cheese (Cheddar, Colby Jack or a mix thereof)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray or grease a muffin pan.
- Place one or two wonton wrappers in each muffin cup.
- Bake them this first round about 6-8 minutes- watch them so they do not get too brown too fast.
- Remove from oven and cool just a bit.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together cream cheese, sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese, and chopped jalapeños.
- Spoon filling into wonton cups,
- Sprinkle with extra jalapenos, bacon and cheese.
- Bake for another 8-10 minutes. The wontons will be brown, and cheese will be bubbly and melted.
Enjoy with a nice IPA; or for wine people, a refreshing white wine or Sangria.